Hi friends! I wanted to do a quick post today to talk to you about habits! Mainly how I have terribly ones I want to fix, and how I’m doing Rachel Hollis’s Last 90 Days Challenge in the hopes that if I write about it and put it out there, then I’ll hold myself accountable to actually seeing it through.
This challenge is for anyone that wants to implement some better habits into their life, and y’all….that’s me! In fact today, Jill Comes Clean about what’s probably my worst habit of all time……the fact that I’m soooo bad at sticking to and creating habits!
Let me rephrase that….I’m terrible at sticking to productive habits. I’m awesome at sticking with bad habits. Let’s look at a couple shall we?
- I stay up way to late each night and regret it in the morning. Yep, been doing this for-ev-er. It’s a habit for sure!
- Eating way too much junk and sugar throughout the day. Yep, have done that practically my whole life.
- Poor time management. Do you guys get 24 hours in a day? Because I’m pretty sure I don’t. That, or I have just created a terrible habit of wasting a ton of time all day long, and not actually getting done what I need to get done. Yeah, that’s more likely what’s happening.
- Getting things checked off my to-do list. You guys know at the start of every week I make my to-do list, and I swear by Friday I’ve maybe checked off three items and I’ve somehow added 10!
- Too much time spent on my phone throughout the day. Yeah, see bad habits #3 and #4. I think I’m putting some pieces of the puzzle together.
Is this anyone else? Why are bad habits so easy to create and stick with but not good, productive ones? I have to stop the madness! Each day I grow more and more frustrated with myself, that another 24 hours has flown by and I’m no closer to getting done what I set out to get done at the start of the day. You guys, it.has.to.STOP!
So enter Rachel Hollis! This woman speaks to my soul!!! I listened to the audio book of Girl Wash Your Face and was hooked! I loved this book so much (just like half of America has) and got so many truth nuggets out of it that I bought the hard copy and am going to re-read it so I can highlight the key points! I’m also currently reading High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard and so far that is also proving to be a good investment of my brain and time. So basically, it’s like this. I’m recognizing that I’m getting nowhere with those top 5 bad habits listed above (and some others I probably haven’t even discovered about myself yet), and I’m sick of the hamster wheel I have myself on. But, just recognizing these bad habits about myself is not enough. I have to implement better habits into my daily routine. I need them to stick just as much as the bad ones do. And truthfully, I can’t even imagine how much more productive my day could be once I do. How much better of a mom, wife, daughter, and friend I could be if I formed some better habits in my life.
So that has led me to the Last 90 Days challenge. Rachel’s whole premise behind this idea is that fact that we start the year off strong and ready to hit the ground running with motivation and new habits we want to implement, but then we end the year the total opposite. So she has come up with 5 things she is challenging us to do. Five things that she believes will lead to better habits. They are:
- Get up 1 hour earlier each day – I’m at 30 minutes earlier, and on most days. I’m working on it!
- Workout for 30 minutes a day – so far I’ve actually done well with this one because I like to run and so I’ve been able to knock out a run in 30 minutes and call it a day.
- Give up 1 food category you know you shouldn’t be eating – I know this will be the hardest one for me. I should give up sweets, but it’s my Achilles heel! And with the holidays approaching, ahhh!
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water – I’ve actually been doing good with this one so far but I’ve typically always been pretty good about drinking water.
- Write 10 things you are grateful for everyday – I loooove gratitude journals you guys! I used to have such a good habit of doing this and really felt it’s benefits. Somewhere along the way however, I stopped doing it. I’m excited to get back to this one. The one I’m currently using is the The Five Minute Journal (pictured above). You can get it here. Or of course you can just use a plain ol notebook.
So that’s it. Do those 5 things for 90 days….get them to become habits in your life and Rachel truly believes we will see good results from it. And judging by this girl’s knowledge on the topic of habits and things you can do to transform the way you live, ummm yea I think I’ll take her advice. She is nailing it you guys, and something tells me, her success thus far is just the tip of the iceberg.
If you haven’t read Girl, wash your face I cannot recommend it enough! I also recommend High Performance Habits while you’re at it. Rachel has more books coming down the pike, and I can’t freaking wait!
I’ll do more updates throughout the 90 days to let you know my progress. How it’s going, if I’m sticking to it, and what, if any changes I’m seeing as a result. There’s some other habits of my own I’m throwing into the mix too, so I’ll touch on those next time. If you’re doing the challenge let me know! If you’re not, you should totally join me! To sign up (and you can sign up at any time and just start your 90 days from when you start) head here!